Mindfulness Through Art
In this six-week (18-hour) program participants are immersed in artistic expression as a way of exploring the foundations of mindfulness, including aspects of Interpersonal Neurobiology. Experience the benefits of Mindfulness by cultivating creativity and art-making – open to all (from beginners to experienced artists). This program highlights the importance of the process, not the finished product.
With Maria Teresa Hernandez, BA, DTATI, RCAT, RP
Introduction to the Program
This program provides a mindfulness-in-action approach to cultivating mindfulness through creativity and art-making.
In Dr. Treyvaud’s words, “To be drawn out and fulfill our potential requires us to let go and undo much of what we have ‘learned’, so that we can get out of our own way, become receptive to the greater complexity and context of life, and make space for new growth. In this way we become transparent to Truth.” The ‘Mindfulness Through Art’ program offers an invitation to ‘undo’ and ‘unlearn’, and to shift from a rigidly rational attitude to an integrated, intuitive approach to life, allowing the wisdom of the body and the creativity of our brain to show us what is really present, and what requires attention moment by moment.
Participants will experience a variety of meditation practices and engage in a review or introduction to some basic meditation tools. Exploration through mindful movement, art-making and journalling will engender deeper integration. This program intends to promote and cultivate mindsight through a profound awareness of creativity through art and meditation. The collective goal is to find a way of reconnecting with the body in such a way that would support resilience, wellbeing and stress reduction. The vision is to use this process to develop discipline and a practice for life.
- Introduction of the theme and setting an individual intention for the session
- Guided meditation practice
- Short movement practice
- Art-making activity
- Sharing art making or insights (optional)
- Short meditation practice
- Mindfulness moment before the end of group
Who should attend
Experience the benefits of Mindfulness by cultivating creativity and art-making – open to all (from beginners to experienced artists). Suitable for anyone interested in an art based approach to mindfulness that incorporates journalling. This program highlights the importance of the process, not the finished product. No prior mindfulness meditation experience is necessary. This program will suit both students seeking an introduction to mindfulness, as well as those with prior mindfulness meditation experience.
Payment, Cancellation, and Refund/Exchange Policies
- Payment Policy
The fee for this program is $595 (all art material and art journal included), payable upon acceptance into the program.
- Program/Course Cancellations
If your program is cancelled, you are entitled to a full refund. You will be contacted at least three business days prior to the start date of the program if a cancellation is made.
If you give at least five business days notice before the program’s start date you will receive the full tuition less a $50 fee.
If you give less than five business days notice before the start date of a program no refund will be available.
After the program has begun no refund, exchanges or transfers will be available.
If you give at least five business days notice before the program’s start date you can apply the full tuition amount as a credit to a future program.
If you give less than five business days notice prior to the start date of the program you can apply the full tuition less a $50 fee as a credit to a future program.
After the program has begun no refund, exchanges or transfers will be available
Maria Teresa Hernandez BA, DTATI, RCAT, RP
- Maria Teresa is a Registered Canadian Art Therapist and Artist. She has been practicing at the YWCA Toronto for 8 years, facilitating groups for women (who have experienced violence and had other mental health challenges). She works through discussion, expressive arts therapy interventions, mindfulness, and body-based awareness practices. Maria has been a supervisor for Art Therapy students from TATI and the CREATE Institute.
- In her private practice, Maria Teresa has created expressive arts programs for health and wellbeing with an emphasis in mindfulness and movement.
- Maria Teresa earned a Master’s degree in Fine Arts at the National University of Mexico UNAM, and a BA in Graphic design at the Metropolitan University UAM, Mexico. In 2011, she completed the Graduate Diploma Program in Art Therapy at the Toronto Art Therapy Institute. She is a member of the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario, and also a certified Yoga teacher. For more than 15 years, she has been studying and practicing mindfulness at The Mindfulness Centre in Oakville. She includes mindfulness in all her art therapy groups. Maria Teresa is a level 1 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy graduate at the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute. Currently she is assisting in the level 1 Training Program in the same Institute.
- Maria Teresa has participated nationally and internationally in more than 20 solo art-shows (including three museums in Mexico: La Tallera National Institute of Fine Arts, Casa Trotsky, and Casa del Poeta) and numerous group shows. Since 2011 she has been a member of the Propeller Centre for the Visual Arts in the Queen Street West Gallery District.
To be announced
The Mindfulness Centre
$595 – Includes art supplies and art journal
To participate, call our office at 905 338 1386 to provide your contact information. Following that, if you have some experience with Mindfulness you will receive an email with details. If you haven’t had any experience with Mindfulness Maria will contact you by telephone to conduct a short telephone interview. No referral from your family physician is needed.
Subscribe to our free newsletter with stimulating and life-changing information on mental resilience and all matters of the mind.
Our government is following a general [...]
In my two blogs ‘Initiation Renaissance [...]