Mindfulness Through Creativity
In this ten-week program participants are immersed in creative expression through gentle movement, journaling, and art-making as a way of exploring the foundations of mindfulness. By highlighting the importance of the creative process rather than the finished product, this program is open to all and does not require any prior writing or art experience.
With Maria Teresa Hernandez, BA, DTATI, RCAT, RP
Introduction to the Program
This program provides a mindfulness-in-action approach to cultivating mindfulness through the creativity of gentle movement, writing, and art-making.
In Dr. Treyvaud’s words, “To be drawn out and fulfill our potential requires us to let go and undo much of what we have ‘learned’, so that we can get out of our own way, become receptive to the greater complexity and context of life, and make space for new growth. In this way we become transparent to Truth.” The ‘Mindfulness Through Creativity’ program offers an invitation to ‘undo’ and ‘unlearn’, and to shift from a rigidly rational attitude to an integrated, intuitive approach to life, allowing the wisdom of the body and the creativity of our brain to show us what is really present, and what requires attention moment by moment.
Participants will experience a variety of meditation practices and engage in a review or introduction to some basic meditation tools. Exploration through mindful movement, journaling, and art-making will engender deeper integration. This program intends to promote and cultivate mindsight through a profound awareness of creativity through movement, writing, art, and meditation, while also including psychological principles of Internal Family Systems (IFS) and Polyvagal Theory. The collective goal is to find a way of reconnecting with the body in such a way that would support resilience, wellbeing and stress reduction. The vision is to use this process to develop discipline and a practice for life.
- Introduction of a theme and setting an individual intention for the session
- Guided meditation practice
- Short movement practice
- Art-making activity
- Sharing art-making or insights (optional)
- Short meditation practice
- Mindfulness moment before the end of the group
Who should attend
Experience the benefits of mindfulness by reclaiming and cultivating creative expression. This program is open to all and does not require any creative skills or prior creativity experience. It is suitable for anyone interested in an experiential, body-based awareness and a creative approach to mindfulness that incorporates movement, art, and journaling. In this program, we highlight the importance of process, not the finished product. Although no prior mindfulness meditation experience is necessary, students seeking an introduction to mindfulness, as well as those with prior mindfulness meditation experience will benefit from the program.
Payment, Cancellation, and Refund/Exchange Policies
- Payment Policy
The fee for this program is $625 (all art material and art journal included), payable upon acceptance into the program.
- Program/Course Cancellations
If your program is cancelled, you are entitled to a full refund. You will be contacted at least three business days prior to the start date of the program if a cancellation is made.
If you give at least five business days notice before the program’s start date you will receive the full tuition less a $50 fee.
If you give less than five business days notice before the start date of a program no refund will be available.
After the program has begun no refund, exchanges or transfers will be available.
If you give at least five business days notice before the program’s start date you can apply the full tuition amount as a credit to a future program.
If you give less than five business days notice prior to the start date of the program you can apply the full tuition less a $50 fee as a credit to a future program.
After the program has begun no refund, exchanges or transfers will be available
Maria Teresa Hernandez BA, DTATI, RCAT, RP
- Maria Teresa is a Registered Canadian Art Therapist and Artist. She has been practicing at the YWCA Toronto for 10 years, facilitating groups for women, who have experienced violence and suffer from other mental health challenges. She works through dialogue, expressive arts therapy interventions, mindfulness, and body-based awareness practices. Maria has been a supervisor for Art Therapy students from TATI and the CREATE Institute.
- In her private practice, Maria Teresa has created expressive arts programs for health and wellbeing with an emphasis on mindfulness and movement.
- Maria Teresa earned a Master’s degree in Fine Arts at the National University of Mexico UNAM, and a BA in Graphic design at the Metropolitan University UAM, Mexico. In 2011, she completed the Graduate Diploma Program in Art Therapy at the Toronto Art Therapy Institute. She is a member of the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario, and also a certified Yoga teacher. For more than 15 years, she has been studying and practicing mindfulness at The Mindfulness Centre in Oakville. She includes mindfulness in all her art therapy groups. Maria Teresa is a level 1 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy graduate at the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute. She assisted in the level 1 Training Program in the same Institute. In 2020 she completed the SoulCollage® Facilitator Training. She also completed the Applied Polyvagal Theory in Yoga – Level 1 and Level 2 course with Dr. Arielle Schwartz & Dr. Stephen Porges.
- Maria Teresa has participated nationally and internationally in more than 20 solo art shows (including three museums in Mexico: La Tallera National Institute of Fine Arts, Casa Trotsky, and Casa del Poeta) and numerous group shows. Since 2011 she has been a member of the Propeller Centre for the Visual Arts in the Queen Street West Gallery District.
For dates, location, cost, and to sign up, express your interest below.
Subscribe to our free newsletter with stimulating and life-changing information on mental resilience and all matters of the mind.
NEWS FROM THE MINDFULNESS CENTRE, UPCOMING WORKSHOPS, AND INFORMATIVE ARTICLES. #mindfulness #MBSR #stress reduction #Mindful Self-compassion #MSC #meditation #Yoga. PLEASE CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK: https://conta.cc/3PE2Id5
NEWS FROM THE MINDFULNESS CENTRE, UPCOMING WORKSHOPS, AND INFORMATIVE ARTICLES. #mindfulness #MBSR #stress reduction #Mindful Self-compassion #MSC #meditation #Yoga. PLEASE CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK: https://conta.cc/3VT5oG5
This Is Happiness
The Vision Of Improvement